Monitor recommendation?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 21 03:32:00 UTC 2012

| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

| My faithful Samsung 2443bw (1920x1200) just gave up the ghost -- simply

| Advice, comments, suggestions? Thanks!

Price is non-linear in size and maybe quality.

I've found mediocre 1920 x 1080 (TN) for almost as low as $100.  Hard
to beat that price.

1920x1200 better-than-TN (IP?) screens might start at $300 (not 100%
sure).

It's hard to go down in resolution!

The Dell UltraSharp line has mostly been good for me.  Good enough
that my experiences are outdated :-).  Here's a sale:
  <http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=eandapromotion2>
I'm not saying that these prices are spectacular.

UltraShar's are:
- not TN
- usually multiple inputs
- usually have USB hub built-in
- often smart card readers are built-in (to go with USB)

23" 1920x1080 $229
24" 1920x1200 $429
30" 25560x1600 $1099

Because of the price non-linearity, two of the 23" monitors seems to
have a nice price/performance ratio.  Too bad about the bezels.

For me, I find my (older) 30" Dell to be quite nice.  I have a 24"
too, next to the 30", and don't really feel the need to have them run
the same desktop.

On RedFlagDeals there are often discoveries of monitor deals.  One
that is intriguing/scary: importing inexpensive 27" IPS monitors with
2560x1440 resolution from Korea, through ebay.

Note: anything over 1920x1200 requires a little care with video card
support.  Dual link DVI is required, or now DisplayPort with
sufficient specs.  VGA is out as is HDMI (in practice) and single-link
DVI.