Linus vs. NVidia

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 19 18:23:29 UTC 2012

On 19/06/12 12:16 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:10:44AM -0700, William Park wrote:
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/torvalds_curses_nvidia/>
>>
>> Does that mean I have to replace all nVidia card with ATI? :-)
>
> If you want something worse, then yes.
>
> Nvidia is very mcuh not linux friendly, but they do release very good
> working drivers for linux as quickly as they do windows.
>
> ATI doesn't seem able to make reliable drivers for linux at all (and
> whether their windows drivers are reliable is debateable at times).

When I bought a 6850 card, the older Catalyst ATI driver that I was
running supported it before it was included in a newer Catalyst release
officially listing the card. I was impressed.

ATI is not the company it was 10 years ago when they gained their
reputation for crappy drivers.

In the end I like the Intel video cards as well because they works
pretty flawlessly as others have noted.

Jamon