Linus vs. NVidia

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 19 20:03:54 UTC 2012

On 19 June 2012 14:23, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 19/06/12 12:16 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:10:44AM -0700, William Park wrote:
>>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/torvalds_curses_nvidia/>
>>>
>>> Does that mean I have to replace all nVidia card with ATI? :-)
>>
>> If you want something worse, then yes.
>>
>> Nvidia is very mcuh not linux friendly, but they do release very good
>> working drivers for linux as quickly as they do windows.
>>
>> ATI doesn't seem able to make reliable drivers for linux at all (and
>> whether their windows drivers are reliable is debateable at times).
>
> When I bought a 6850 card, the older Catalyst ATI driver that I was
> running supported it before it was included in a newer Catalyst release
> officially listing the card. I was impressed.
>
> ATI is not the company it was 10 years ago when they gained their
> reputation for crappy drivers.
>
> In the end I like the Intel video cards as well because they works
> pretty flawlessly as others have noted.

I've had the impression that there's no such thing as an "Intel video
card."  There's Intel onboard graphics chips, but no discrete cards
...  If I'm wrong about that, please tell me: I'll go out tomorrow to
buy two or three of them (because yes, I'm voting "me too" on this
comment).

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/