Linus vs. NVidia

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 19 16:58:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:24:20PM -0400, Stephen Gordon wrote:
> I thought the question was in relation to Nvidia's Optimus technology
> which doesn't have official Linux driver support from Nvidia at all,
> only windows? The bumblebee project is an attempt to get this stuff
> working on linux without Nvidia's help.

I think there have been other issues too.

> My understanding is that ATI have pretty much given up and released
> their specs, which is why the FOSS driver for their cards has been
> rapidly improving. I use it on my laptop and it works quite well, but
> I don't think it would be up to heavy gaming use and I know it is
> still hit and miss depending on what model GPU you have.

Well ATI says they want to release specs, yet don't seem to actually
really do so.  They seem to keep hitting parts of their design that they
licensed from someone else and are not allowed to release specs for.
I will be impressed the day ATI actually releases complete specs for
even a single chip.

--
Len Sorensen