Linus vs. NVidia

Stephen Gordon stephen.a.gordon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 19 16:24:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:10:44AM -0700, William Park wrote:
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/18/torvalds_curses_nvidia/>
>>
>> Does that mean I have to replace all nVidia card with ATI? :-)
>
> If you want something worse, then yes.
>
> Nvidia is very mcuh not linux friendly, but they do release very good
> working drivers for linux as quickly as they do windows.

I thought the question was in relation to Nvidia's Optimus technology
which doesn't have official Linux driver support from Nvidia at all,
only windows? The bumblebee project is an attempt to get this stuff
working on linux without Nvidia's help.

> ATI doesn't seem able to make reliable drivers for linux at all (and
> whether their windows drivers are reliable is debateable at times).

My understanding is that ATI have pretty much given up and released
their specs, which is why the FOSS driver for their cards has been
rapidly improving. I use it on my laptop and it works quite well, but
I don't think it would be up to heavy gaming use and I know it is
still hit and miss depending on what model GPU you have.

Steve