Raspberry PI vs. VIA APC vs. ?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 18 04:30:11 UTC 2012

On 06/17/2012 10:53 PM, Colin McGregor wrote:
[...]
> So, as a MythTV client machine, any thoughts, Raspberry PI, VIA APC or
> something else?
>
> Thanks.

Colin,

With the Raspberry Pi starting to reach a multitudes of end users we're
starting to see a rafter of interesting projects and reviews emerge. The
most relevant to this thread is Hackaday's review of the Raspberry Pi
XBMC distro.

http://hackaday.com/2012/06/14/hands-on-with-raspbmc/

While it preformed well for the codecs he has support for, anything out
side of that was a no-go. This is typical for this class of hardware,
consumer or otherwise. Investigate if the available codecs are right for
you and your specific setup.

Now, for the APC, it's just too soon to tell. The hardware has not yet
made it to the hands of anyone, let alone a xbmc or mythtv developer.
That said, the fact that it claims to be only 720p capable already puts
a mark against it in the running.

The one device I would consider is the Mele A1000/A2000(*), as it is
marketed as an Andriod HTPC and has a very nice breadth video outputs.
I've not yet enough progress to personal say what the capabilities are,
but at $90 it's still a league above either of the two options above.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mele-1080p-android-2-3-internet-tv-set-top-box-w-wifi-optical-3-x-usb-hdmi-av-lan-sd-119913
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mele-a2000-1080p-android-2-3-network-multi-media-player-w-sata-usb-hdmi-lan-vga-wifi-4gb-131566

* There is actually no difference between these two devices other then
the casing. Any discrepancy between the specs listed on DX can not be
trusted. I've had this confirmed by multiple owners.

Relevant liberation work has gathered here:
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/

--
Scott Sullivan