Raspberry PI vs. VIA APC vs. ?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 18 02:53:52 UTC 2012

I quite enjoyed Scott Sullivan's talk last Tuesday at the Greater
Toronto Area Linux user group on ARM based Linux running computers,
but it has left me in a bit of a quandary...

I have a bedroom client PC for my MythTV system that I would love to
replace with something smaller, more power efficient, etc.. With that
in mind I have been paying close attention to the Raspberry PI as it
looks to be something that would do the job for $35 (well, sort of for
$35). At Scott's talk there was news of the VIA APC motherboard for
$49 (http://apc.io/) (well, sort of for $49). Comparing prices is a
little tricky in that the VIA APC comes with a power supply and 2 GB
of flash memory (both cost extra with the Raspberry PI). Both machines
come without cases, though the VIA APC was designed so it could fit
into Mini-ITX or MicroATX cases with lots of space left over. The
Raspberry PI can do 1080p resolution, while the VIA APC is limited to
720p. Both machines seem seriously back ordered...

So, as a MythTV client machine, any thoughts, Raspberry PI, VIA APC or
something else?

Thanks.

Colin McGregor