Rogers goes Linux Hostile

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 9 15:18:07 UTC 2012

>> My guess is this Live Agent is a way for Rogers to conceal the heavy
>> accents of their support staff from their customers.
Not necessary to read this as Linux hostile, most company's support
people are only familiar with Windows, so as long as you can make them
feel you are on Windows and translate whatever they are advising to
Linux equivalent, you may be fine

> You mean the heavy Indian accent? I like their accent, it's a little bit
> funny sometimes but I like it.

Ha, remind me of an article I read recently about the accent premium.
Have a look at it here

http://www.economist.com/node/21557350
This part is a little sad for anyone who have accent :(
And they aren’t drawn to Manila by cheap labour. Wages in the
Philippines are slightly higher than in India since the Filipino
accent commands a premium.

Regards,

William