think twice about buying Linksys routers

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 6 17:15:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jamon Camisso
<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 06/07/12 07:21 AM, Colin McGregor wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> <http://www.extremetech.com/computing/132142-ciscos-cloud-vision-mandatory-monetized-and-killed-at-their-discretion>
>>> You now have to ceded control to Linksys' cloud service.
>>
>> I don't have an issue with buying Linksys hardware. I would have a
>> problem with running Linksys software. In other words, I wouldn't get
>> Linksys hardware that I can't reflash to something like Tomato Linux
>> :-) .
>
> That's a terrifically *bad* way to reward a company. That's like saying
> I don't like your software, but here, take my money anyways and continue
> making poor executive decisions, and software.. That's like staying in a
> bad relationship with someone when you know everything about them except
> their physical appearance is incompatible with you..

No, more like I like the house, the location, the layout and the
price, but I HATE the colour. As long as re-painting the house isn't
going to be a big issue, then the house is worth considering. If they
block changing the colour then there are issues. If the hardware is
good, at a decent price and can be easily adapted to what I want I
don't see an issue.

> Also, tomato runs on more than just Linksys.

True, I have heard a number of nice things said about products from
several other firms. The big advantage at present with Linksys is that
they seem to be EVERYWHERE at reasonable prices.

Still, to follow-up on some of the other comments noted here, I would
have trouble recommending a Linksys router to someone that wasn't
going to get re-flashed (ie: non-techie friends and family).