Commercial Surveillance, who is going to remain part of the problem?

Molly Tournquist mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 27 21:46:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott at ...> wrote:
> I knew there was a reason I disliked using social network services.
> It was partially the lack of control over how my information would be used,
> but I was having trouble articulating it in a manner which would be
> meaningful to others.
>
> Well worth a read for it's honesty and brevity, but powerful point.
>
> http://www.betabeat.com/2011/12/13/in-which-eben-moglen-like-legit-yells-at-me-for-being-on-facebook/
>
> --
> Scott Sullivan

Here's another perspective against the social media bandwagon.

http://everything2.com/title/Facebook+destroys+real+relationships

However, it's not really specific to facebook, it would be similarly against alternatives that might respect your privacy more.

It could be said to focus on how facebook persistantly underhandedly prods you in certain directions, requiring you to go out of your way not to comply. Perhaps the article bluntly gets into things which people have habits for blocking out of attention. On top of general automatic defensiveness against criticisms of something people are hooked on like that.