Commercial Surveillance, who is going to remain part of the problem?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 00:25:39 UTC 2012

On 12-01-10 11:24 AM, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Scott Sullivan<scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> I knew there was a reason I disliked using social network services.
>> It was partially the lack of control over how my information would be used,
>> but I was having trouble articulating it in a manner which would be
>> meaningful to others.
>>
>> Well worth a read for it's honesty and brevity, but powerful point.
>>
>> http://www.betabeat.com/2011/12/13/in-which-eben-moglen-like-legit-yells-at-me-for-being-on-facebook/
>>
>> --
>> Scott Sullivan
>

> I don't see how information stored on Facebook, Twitter, or other
> social networks differs from having a public website or blog where you
> control your data. I think if we truly want to educate users we need
> to tell them that anything published on the Internet (even for example
> if it's a protected Twitter account or a Google+ message sent only to
> two other people) is public information and can be archive for an
> indefinite period of time and used by anyone for anything.

People who store data on their own servers might understand that there
is a possibility of their data leaking out through holes in their
security model.

People who store data on (free) commercial services almost certainly
don't, never mind understanding about those services' deliberate
attempts to collect, correlate and commercialize their data.

--Bob.