nice paper on FireFox memory usage reduction

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 00:45:52 UTC 2012

On 1/18/2012 6:18 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/93/LCA2012.pdf>
> I'd be keen to see similar pressure given to projects like Gnome and
> KDE which have grand, complex architectures that have sufficiently
> vaulting edifices that they have plenty of room for similar kinds of
> abuse of limited system resources.

There was something the other day on Slashdot about LibreOffice
developers removing deprecated, unused, or just plain dead code from the
codebase:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/01/14/008236/code-cleanup-culls-libreoffice-cruft
http://www.i-programmer.info/news/136-open-source/3607-drive-to-remove-unused-code-in-libreoffice.html

Maybe I'm too or prematurely optimistic, but a few cycle of development
that are focused on optimizing instead of just throwing more hardware at
things would be nice.

Jamon