nice paper on FireFox memory usage reduction

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 18 23:18:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/93/LCA2012.pdf>

Incredibly encouraging!

In keeping with what I'd consider the most legitimate/most vitally
critical criticism made at the recent meeting, this is the sort of
thing to be paying goodly attention to.

I suspect that there's something of an ongoing battle to be found
here; all those "AJAX" applications that embed JavaScript into your
browser are something of an "arms race" that will tend to increase
memory consumption of the web browser.  To have some efforts to fight
back against that consumption gives some hope that we mayn't expire of
consumption (which is the old way of describing tuberculosis).

No doubt Google's Chrome team are watching this; similar issues
doubtless affect them.

I'd be keen to see similar pressure given to projects like Gnome and
KDE which have grand, complex architectures that have sufficiently
vaulting edifices that they have plenty of room for similar kinds of
abuse of limited system resources.