Changing the UID number of a directory

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 18 20:02:44 UTC 2012

Hello

I have two users with the same name, and I got them because I
configured the system to use LDAP after I had already created a local
account and generated files on the home directory.

In another word, I have two account both called william, but one with
a UID of 501 and another with a UID 2005.  When I check the file
properties of the home directory with "ls -n /home/ | grep william",
they are owned by UID 501, so despite login with the same account
"william", I get permission denied because of the inconsistent UID.

I have checked chown and it does not have a way of changing UID when
both account has a name "william".  Is there a way of changing this
properties without destroying and starting a fresh?  I have looked at
all the flags for chown and nothing seem to allow that.

Regards
William