All Video Editing Lovers

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 23:35:53 UTC 2012

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:39:00 -0500
> From: kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: All Video Editing Lovers
>

> On 12-01-08 03:39 PM, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > I have a DVD's that were recorded from old family video 8 tapes. Is it
> > possible (with Linux software - either free or not) to edit the ripped
> > DVD? The idea being to record another DVD from the edited files.
>
> There are programs that can pull the contents off a DVD and save the video
> in standard video file formats. To edit the files there are four different
> programs you can use: LiVES, Kino, Cinelerra, and kdenlive.
>
> I have never looked at kdenlive but I have tried the other three (but not
> recently). Kino seemed a rather basic editor but IIRC it had a feature
> (reversing a video segment which I did use once) that wasn't in the other
> programs. I tried Cinelerra which was closer to the editor I use in Windows
> but it's selection of file formats for import seemed limited and it didn't
> seem to be as stable as the other offerings. In Linux I was mostly using
> LiVES. It wasn't as full featured as Cinelerra but it offered more than
> Kino, supported more file formats and was more stable than Cinelerra.
>
> It has been a while since I have checked out the Linux based video editors
> so all of the programs may have changed and/or improved since I last tried
> them. I still find myself going back to Pinnacle Studio in Windows when I
> have a need to edit some video.
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.

Thanks Kevin. And thanks also to the many people who replied, I received some really good information.

I was under the mistaken belief that a ripped DVD would result in identical copies
 of the files that are on the DVD (ie. vob). After your reply, I
found some DVD rippers that encode to other file formats, so now my
choices for video editors are even better.

I was initially considering using AVIDemux because their web site has
such good documentation. But I think I'll give kdenlive a try instead,
mostly because it seems to be getting a lot of press lately.

I have at least 50 hours of video to edit, so ought to start cracking...

John.