All Video Editing Lovers

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 21:39:00 UTC 2012

On 12-01-08 03:39 PM, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I have a DVD's that were recorded from old family video 8 tapes. Is it
> possible (with Linux software - either free or not) to edit the ripped
> DVD? The idea being to record another DVD from the edited files.

There are programs that can pull the contents off a DVD and save the video
in standard video file formats. To edit the files there are four different
programs you can use: LiVES, Kino, Cinelerra, and kdenlive.

I have never looked at kdenlive but I have tried the other three (but not
recently). Kino seemed a rather basic editor but IIRC it had a feature
(reversing a video segment which I did use once) that wasn't in the other
programs. I tried Cinelerra which was closer to the editor I use in Windows
but it's selection of file formats for import seemed limited and it didn't
seem to be as stable as the other offerings. In Linux I was mostly using
LiVES. It wasn't as full featured as Cinelerra but it offered more than
Kino, supported more file formats and was more stable than Cinelerra.

It has been a while since I have checked out the Linux based video editors
so all of the programs may have changed and/or improved since I last tried
them. I still find myself going back to Pinnacle Studio in Windows when I
have a need to edit some video.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.