Ubuntu first time

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 23:44:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 01:02:04PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Oh, come on.
>
> Sometimes Linux supports some hardware sooner than FreeBSD, and
> sometimes hardware is supported first by NetBSD or FreeBSD.
>
> As for machines with extraordinary numbers of CPUs, those tend to be
> custom built things that are dramatically overpriced the day that
> they're built, as they have to have weird custom memory and CPU buses
> that deviate from what's typical and cheap.
>
> Hardly anyone remembers Sequent :-).

When a laptop has 8 CPUs (well threads), and a fairly cheap server has
32, I don't see 64 as at all a reasonable limit.

I wonder what the last time was any BSD supported a piece of hardware
before Linux.  It used to be true.  My last use for BSD was netBSD on
a decstation 5000 (mips little endian) which Linux did not support at
the time (which was 1998).  A couple of years later Linux did support
the machine and was a whole lot more pleasant to install and work with.

I suspect there just aren't that many people contributing to BSD anymore
and Linux has way more.

Also how anything can cantinue to default to (t)csh as the default shell
is unbelievable.

--
Len Sorensen