Ubuntu first time

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 21:55:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 02:41:13PM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> It all depends on your needs. Ubuntu is just fine for everyday
> workstations where you don't want to worry about things just working,
> no matter how bad the approach may be (much a la Windoze) but it get's
> the job done and it's not Windows.

That's just it.  Ubuntu doesn't just work.  It's too buggy for that.
And good luck if you actually try to upgrade to the next version.

Now if you were using Mint, OK then I will give you the claim of
'just works'.  But not with Ubuntu.

> For specialized workstations and servers Debian is clearly a better
> choice. But then so is Slack and Gentoo. So it all depends... there is
> no one size fits all and that is the beauty of Open Source in
> particular Linux where there are many specialized distros for each
> need.

Actually I very much do think Debian does fit just about all tasks,
including workstations.

--
Len Sorensen