Activists creating decentralized mesh network that can't be blocked, filtered or silenced

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 27 17:25:39 UTC 2012

From: "Mel Wilson" <mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>
> Apropos of which
>> 1) What are the standard plugs/sockets and co-ax for connecting to
>> the antenna jacks of consumer wifi routers?
> Here is the website where you can find the most popular connectors:
> http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-cable-connectors.html
>
> I would say, RP-SMA is the most standard. The popular Linksys WRT54
> have RP-TNC. But no matter what the external connector is, or even
> if the router doesn't have an external antenna, if you disassemble
> it, you are most likely to find the MC connector on the motherboard.
>

>> 2) Where can you get snap-on plastic lids for juice cans?
> Emm.. On the juice cans maybe? ;) Can you send an image-link of what
> you are talking about?
I got interested in cantennas, is what this is all about.  Basically
take a used can of some suitable size, with one end cut off, put a
1/4wave antenna 1/2wave from the closed end, and you beam your RF signal
directionally out the other end.  So you need to run cable from the
router to the 1/4wave antenna -- the stuff in the page you cited seems
just what I wanted.

A purpose-built plastic cap to keep out weather would be the crowning
touch.  What I have found is that there are a bunch of standard can
sizes that all don't quite fit each other.  A juice can seems like it
would be better than mediocre at 2.4GHz.  Gatorade powder comes in a
stubby metallized cardboard can with a recloseable lid that's just a few
mil too big to close a juice can.  In extremis, duct tape can make
anything fit, and that might, finally, be the way to go, if the dollar
stores don't have the right stuff.

     Thanks,        Mel.