Activists creating decentralized mesh network that can't be blocked, filtered or silenced

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 27 17:38:12 UTC 2012

Mel Wilson wrote:
> I got interested in cantennas, is what this is all about.  Basically
> take a used can of some suitable size, with one end cut off, put a
> 1/4wave antenna 1/2wave from the closed end, and you beam your RF
> signal directionally out the other end.  So you need to run cable from
> the router to the 1/4wave antenna -- the stuff in the page you cited
> seems just what I wanted.

When I first heard the name "Cantenna", this is what it referred to:
http://www.orcadxcc.org/content/cantenna_va7jw.pdf

I've had one for almost 40 years and they'd been available long before that.

After I built the kit, I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and bought 4 quarts
(yes, it was that long ago) of mineral oil to fill it.  I wonder if the
cashier thought I had a serious problem?  ;-)

I still have some of that oil, in the original jug, as I've never had
any other need for it.