Seneca College and the Raspberry Pi.

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 21 17:50:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Daniel Wayne Armstrong
<daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> has on more than one occasion noted that
>> he was planning to organize a group Raspberry Pi purchase. So, I'll
>> let Scott note his plans in that regard, but, yes, this is the sort of
>> thing that would be of real interest to me.
>>
>> As it is, the first production run of Raspberry Pi machines, currently
>> in progress, is 10,000 machines. Given the level of interest that
>> seems to be surrounding the Raspberry Pi, I expect that first run of
>> machines (which will all be the $35 model B (the $25 model A may not
>> start mass production for a few months)) will sell out in hours (maybe
>> in minutes). So, likely any group purchase will have to wait until a
>> second run of machines (hopefully by the end of March)...
>
> For this first-run of RaspberryPi's they plan to limit purchases to
> one per-person.

Even at one per person I expect the machines will sell out QUICKLY.

Also, I guess should be noted that there is also a version of Debian
Linux that has been done for the Raspberry Pi. So, even at launch you
will have a choice of Linux distributions, Fedora and Debian. Anyone
know if there are any other Linux distributions planned for the launch
of Raspberry Pi?

Colin.