SparkleShare

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 10 18:04:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Interesting point for anyone who's considering trying it: the client
> is a big fat install including Mono and some of Gnome (clearly you are
> expected by the developer(s?) to have ALL of Gnome), but the server is
> pure Git.  Which also means A) revision control, and B) easy recovery
> of your data should the client go pear-shaped for some reason.

The code base is written in Mono, so the Mono involvement should come
as not too much of a surprise.  It amounts to a "slightly more
specified environment than Java," to my mind, with all that's
potentially good and bad about that.

The use of SCM underneath is a good thing; I like the way you're
thinking about that.

https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare/issues/572

>From that, I have been able to infer that you need some X client that
can serve as a "notification area."

I observe, in searching for that, that the Ubuntu folk have decided
that the Notification Area isn't a good thing, and intend its removal.
 <http://design.canonical.com/2010/04/notification-area/>  I tend to
agree with the reasoning that I see, and SparkleShare seems consistent
as a case of something that isn't properly a "notification" that is
getting stowed in the Notification Area because it seemed like a
convenient idea at the time.

FYI, if I install gnome-panel (which draws in something of a "cast of
dozens" of additional packages, on Debian), and run it, a sliver of
screen gets stolen from Stumpwm, an icon for SparkleShare appears, and
I can indeed take the additional steps to add a "Hosted Project."  I
set up access to one of my repos on GitHub, which seems like a
reasonably harmless thing to add, initially.  SparkleShare seems
unlikely to trash the repo, and that's an eminently repairable action.

Adding the project works.  What doesn't work quite so much is the
following step of getting a "link code" from the "SparkleShare
Dashboard," which doesn't appear to have a place for me to link to.

I think I'll leave that for now; if someone else takes interest to
take it another step down the road, that's great.

The interesting bit of outcome is that I feel OK, for now, about
adding the sliver of gnome-panel to my screen.  That's playing OK with
stumpwm, not interfering in any way I can see.