SparkleShare

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 10 16:24:32 UTC 2012

On 10 February 2012 07:15, Syed Faisal Akber <faisal-nMFrlatgk0VeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12-02-09 08:20 PM, Giles Orr wrote:

>>> There's a Debian package now; it seems to start up OK, and generates a
>>> couple of SSH keys.
>>>
>>> Then the X client closes off the initial configuration window, and
>>> doesn't appear to offer a way to open another window to get to the
>>> bits of the application involved in managing repositories.  So that's
>>> looking pretty vastly useless, at this point.
>>
>> This is precisely the point I reached this evening, and we both have
>> the same problem for the same reason: neither of us has Gnome.  I got
>> to the point in the documentation where it says "Click the
>> SparkleShare status icon ..."  I haven't found a solution to that one
>> yet.  The sparkleshare process is running, but I have no idea how to
>> invoke it to make changes, and Google hasn't been my friend so far.
>>
> I do use it.  It is nice but a bit buggy.  Which version are you using?
>
> I'm using 0.2 in Ubuntu, which seems to work okayish.  The problem I have is
> that the syncing between hosts is not always automatic as they claim it to
> be.  I sometimes have to manually do a push or a pull using the git
> command-line.
>
> Otherwise, it is a great tool.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been ported to
> Windows yet though.

I'm using v0.60, which is available in Debian testing.  The
SparkleShare website has a v0.80 which makes the Debian version sound
old, but it appears that the Debian one is only one rev behind and
only a couple months old.

There appear to be versions for both Windows and Android, although I
haven't tried either of them.

Interesting point for anyone who's considering trying it: the client
is a big fat install including Mono and some of Gnome (clearly you are
expected by the developer(s?) to have ALL of Gnome), but the server is
pure Git.  Which also means A) revision control, and B) easy recovery
of your data should the client go pear-shaped for some reason.

As a follow-up to my previous message, I've emailed the developer
about accessing the configuration window when you're not a Gnome user.
 No response yet, but it's only been about 12 hours.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org