Too many licences (was Have you ever edited OpenStreetMap ?)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 6 13:03:40 UTC 2012

On 12-02-05 16:57 , Kevin Cozens wrote:

> ODbL? Yet another ffffine licence? Isn't it enough that we have GPL v2,
> GPL v3, BSD, MIT, multiple CC licences (to name some more common ones),
> and now ODbL?

In many countries, data - as in externally-verifiable facts - cannot be
copyrighted. Although CC claim that CC 3.0 and the planned 4.0 are
applicable, ODbL made more sense. It's not a decision taken lightly; it
involves data loss and other upheavals.

Richard's note was I think meant to advise any users from this list
that, if they took no action, their contributions might disappear.

 Stewart