Too many licences (was Have you ever edited OpenStreetMap ?)

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 6 22:45:53 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12-02-02 02:45 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
>>
>> OSM data is CC-By-SA[1], and transitioning to ODbL[2].
>

> ODbL? Yet another ffffine licence? Isn't it enough that we have GPL v2, GPL
> v3, BSD, MIT, multiple CC licences (to name some more common ones), and now
> ODbL?
>
> It's getting to where you have to be (or need to hire) a lawyer just to work
> on Open Source projects these days. I don't know about any one else but my
> eyes quickly glaze over while trying to read all the legalese and understand
> what it means to me as a developer.

Yup.  The code in OSM is still under sensible and familiar code
licenses.  OSM is a F/LOSS project.

OSM is also an Open Data project.  And OSM, by its success, has
changed the the global Open Data landscape.  Countries, and smaller
jurisdictions are adapting to this relatively young area of law.  They
are even gaining more clue as time goes on.