wow: Automatic Licence Plate Recognition surveillance in BC

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 5 22:00:59 UTC 2012

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> <http://www.focusonline.ca/?q=node/312>
>
> This may well apply to us to.

Back in 2008 I saw a marked Toronto Police car with video cameras at
both front corners of the hood going up and down rows of a parking lot
out at YYZ: your concern may be slightly belated.

Although I don't know for a fact that they were hooked to an ALPR
system, I've worked in computer vision and it's my professional opinion
that they would or at least should have been.

But fascinating though this or any other technology may be, I believe
the key areas of importance are police ethics and the state of the
relationship between police, the rest of us, and our politicians.  So
long as they use whatever they have to help and protect us, not hinder
and oppress, I'd be happy.

--
Anthony de Boer