wow: Automatic Licence Plate Recognition surveillance in BC

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 5 21:51:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12-02-05 01:20 , D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> <http://www.focusonline.ca/?q=node/312>
>>
>> This may well apply to us to.
>
> Bit of an outragefilter there:
>
>  I think people should be outraged,” commented my fellow researcher
>  McArthur. “The public needs to know what’s going on...The concept that
>  somebody’s going to record where I was, at a point in time, for no
>  reason, with no probable cause, with no warrant, with no anything...
>
> It can recognize where your car is/was, at any point in time. Not you.
> Your car. And that's why we have licence plates - great big reflective
> legible things in strictly defined OCR-friendly typefaces - because we
> do not drive by right.

If anything, people should have a lot less privacy when driving their
car. Perhaps it would shame them into driving with more courtesy and
respect for others. As it is, not nearly enough people take the time
to report dangerous drivers to police. I guess that would be a full
time job, at least at first :)

--
Thomas Milne