Looking for suggestions about new computer power supply

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 19 22:11:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 04:43:11PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> Recommendation:
>     Get power supply with Gold or Platium rating.
>
> Currently, I have Corsair AX 650 Gold, but its price may be more than
> your computer. :-)  On the other hand, when you build a new machine, you
> can carry that over.
>
> Antec now sells Platium rating at a reasonable price.  You may want to
> try that.
>
> Seasonic Gold series used to be "the" one to get, but other brands have
> caught up.

Having an 80plus rating doesn't mean it is good.

You can have 90% efficiency, but have voltage rails that vary out of spec.
That's not a good power supply.

Also the 80plus is measured at 25C, which is way below actual operating
temperatures and hence not realistic.  A few brands have chosen to measure
at 40C instead when testing for the rating, which is actually realistic.

So really, the 80plus ratings mean very little.  Certainly no indication
of quality (either good or bad).

--
Len Sorensen