Looking for suggestions about new computer power supply

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 19 21:43:11 UTC 2012

Recommendation:
    Get power supply with Gold or Platium rating.

Currently, I have Corsair AX 650 Gold, but its price may be more than
your computer. :-)  On the other hand, when you build a new machine, you
can carry that over.

Antec now sells Platium rating at a reasonable price.  You may want to
try that.

Seasonic Gold series used to be "the" one to get, but other brands have
caught up.
--
William

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 01:52:20PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> The power supply in my 4 to 5 year old HP m7680n seems to be on its
> way out. Usually I need to replace the supply due to the fan
> bearings wearing out. This time it is more than a fan problem. It
> won't turn on via the front power button and I've had occasional
> system lockups (and kernel crashes).
>
> The details of my computer can be found at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00739902&cc=ca&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3230688
> The mother board has a 24 pin (main power) and a 4-pin connector on
> it. I need 4 SATA power connectors (2 SATA HD drives, 2 DVD drives).
> There is also a built-in memory card reader and removable drive bay.
> I will have to open the machine to see what type of power connection
> they use.
>
> The original supply was only a 300W supply. I would like to get a
> new supply with a rating in the range of 500W to 650W continuous. An
> 80 plus supply would be good, and price in the range of $50 to $100.
> I'm looking for something that will last quite a few years as I
> don't buy new computers that often. My previous machine had a
> Pentium II and I used it for 9 years before replacing it with the
> current machine. It had a few upgrades along the way and two power
> supply replacements (due to fan issues).
>
> I'm looking at the various power supplies available online via Best
> Buy (http://tinyurl.com/BestBuyPowerSupplies) as it will be easy to
> do a return if what I get isn't right for my machine. The supplies
> available at my local store are made by Dynex, and Rocket Fish. I
> wasn't impressed by what I read about the Dynex one and the Rocket
> Fish one can vary depending on who actually made it.
>
> A message in the BB forum mentioned that Corsair and Cooler Master
> are good supplies. I know about Thermaltake but I'm not that
> familiar with some of the other brands listed.
>
> I'm interested in suggestions, things to watch out for (ie. get or
> stay away from supplies with APF), which brands may be better or are
> best avoided.
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.
>
> http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
>                                 | powerful!"
> #include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

William