A Generation Lost in the Bazaar - Poul-Henning Kamp article

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 20:31:18 UTC 2012

| From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

| What I want is "New and Improved C".

I don't see how that can be done.  (I have been a peripheral member of the C
standardization process for about 25 years.)

|  I gave up on Google's Go.  It will
| take 10 years just to read and digest its documentations.

I've only glanced at a bit of the documentation.  I didn't find it
hard at all.

What are you really objecting to?  The documentation size?  Or is this
really a comment on the language size (my impression is that it is
actually fairly small)?  Or the runtime size?

|  And, I'm not
| sure what kind of problem they're trying to solve, other than that its
| designers have leftover thesis materials they want to field experiment
| on us.

Rob Pike's left over thesis (if any) was in the High Energy Physics
Department at Cal-tech.  Not sure how far he got.  Nothing to do with
programming languages.  I have to admit that he was a little involved
in language design there -- something that was a precursor to
Mathematica.

I don't think Ken Thompson was working on a PhD; he finished his
Master's degree in 1966.  I doubt the had left over thesis stuff for
Go.

I don't know Robert Griesemer.