A Generation Lost in the Bazaar - Poul-Henning Kamp article

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 01:45:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:56:13AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > That's a difficult set of tasks, and while the IT industry may well
> > have lots of idiots, the supposedly smarter, more ambitious folks
> > don't necessarily do better.  Ongoing standards efforts for C, C++,
> > and C Standard Library show off a whopping lot of messiness, too,
> > and they don't let idiots near those nearly as easily.  I watch the
> > goings-on surrounding Go with interest, as the implementers had
> > involvement with Unix and C, and seem to be trying to create
> > something cleaner.  (Interesting recent essay on this:
> > <http://blog.golang.org/2012/08/organizing-go-code.html>  I don't
> > think it explains the matter enough, but it's trying.)
>
> C++ and the STL are a huge mess.  I think both should be avoided.  C
> does what it was meant to do, and should be handled with the care it
> requires as a result.

What I want is "New and Improved C".  I gave up on Google's Go.  It will
take 10 years just to read and digest its documentations.  And, I'm not
sure what kind of problem they're trying to solve, other than that its
designers have leftover thesis materials they want to field experiment
on us.
--
William