ZyXEL rack mount modems...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 18 19:31:41 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM,  <jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Kinda interesting stuff.
> They are much like serial consoles - you still use them a lot in the datacenter world.
> You know, I've often wondered whether a modem could be used to connect to a serial port.

Yes modems could be used to connect to serial ports. The way the
Toronto FreeNet set things up was to have racks of modems connected to
terminal servers (when the Toronto Free-Net was supporting the modems
I am looking to get rid of they had a Cisco terminal server and for a
time they had 3 Livingston/Lucent Portmaster terminal servers).

Colin.