The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 19:39:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 02:55:29PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> I sympathise with you but you are not comparing the two systems
> properly. TTC do not have a time constraint on how long you are on
> their system. You can board a train and spend the whole day without
> anybody complaining. That's not the case for the others as you already
> mentioned. For that flexibility, they tend to be a bit inflexible in
> transfer usage.

Guess which of those two options is more useful to the users.  Hint:
It is not the one offered by the TTC.

> I think you should just have gone back to the spot the transfer was
> valid.  The TTC driver was just following her employers directives and
> in my humble opinion, they sound sane

They are not sane.

Certainly the drivers are just enforcing the stupid rules they are told
to enforce.

The only way to make the TTC practical to use is to have a pass.
Paying fare and using transfers is highly inconvinient.

It is amazingly stupid to not be able to go from point A to point B and
make a 5 minute stop in the middle of that trip to pick up something
at a store.  Every other transit system lets you do that.  Most transit
systems in the world seem to do that.

Also what do they do if you have to transfer 2 or 3 times on a trip?
How do they know whether you walked a block somewhere earlier on that
trip?  Why should they care?

--
Len Sorensen