Very OT: Who is behind vigilant citizen

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 6 02:31:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Happened to chat with someone today and at some point, the recent gun
> case at a movie theatre came up. I tried to explain that I believe it
> was just a case of someone frustrated by lack of a job and projecting
> his pain on society that he felt was not offering him a chance.
> However, according to her, its more complicated that that, apparently
> had to do with the movie industry involvement in dark religion and all
> that crap. So I asked her source and apparently its a website called
> vigilant citizen.
>
> This being the first time I heard of them, I was curious and checked
> it later. For me, it sound a tad off so I wanted to know who is behind
> it.
>
> http://vigilantcitizen.com/about/
>
> Its a Canadian but he has done a good job of not revealing anything
> more than that. Anybody heard about him before?  For example, I
> checked the owner of the domain and its hidden. Have not seen anybody
> who has written about his agenda but he seem to have a good number of
> followers.
>
> Anyway, I like the fact that Internet allow everyone to self publish,
> but some stuff are not too helpful.   I do agree that, in general it
> if far more helpful than its downsides. Just wish people would be a
> little critical of what they read, both from mainstream media and
> small outlet there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog

This guy would probably try to read some special semiotics into the
choice of "dog" as symbol; that seems not uncommon amongst conspiracy
theorists, who, instead of trying to cultivate "ceteris parabis" (the
economist's attempt at independence of issues, "all other things being
equal"), seem incapable of imagining that anything ever occurs without
conscious purpose by the conspiracists.

As Freud is thought to have said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
 <http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/08/12/just-a-cigar/>

The author of that web site falls pretty quickly into fallacy...  He
points to the notion that Would-be Conspiracy Operators are keen on
extreme degrees of use of symbology, which I think I'd be inclined to
agree with.

But then claims that "they recruit within their ranks the most
prominent people of all fields of society: politics, law and public
service."  No doubt such organizations would *like* to do so.  I
remember seeing ads in the backs of magazines where the Rosicrucians
were keen on hawking memberships on the basis that famous dead people
like Francis Bacon, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Leonardo da
Vinci, Isaac Newton were members.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2225/what-is-rosicrucianism-all-about
 If wishes were fishes, they'd have a *big* fish tale.

Whether Freud said so or not, sometimes a cigar is "just a cigar," but
there are doubtless people including your acquaintance that are
incapable of accepting that.