I am seeding an image of Linux Mint 9 LXDE

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 22:27:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM, charles chris <cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am seeding using Windows NOT Linux.
>
> and Linux Mint 9 LXDE is a LTR.
>
> If I get great results from Isadora, why try another version?
>
> I tried Linux Mint 10 LXDE and gnome desktop but found them really sluggish
> on older PCs.
>
> I only update what I need.
>
> I refuse to upgrade!
>
> Upgrade would only ruin a perfect thing!

In practice, that seems to be a disastrous result.

The set of available hardware has the habit of changing over time.  I
was just reading a novel that referenced a "FrancoDEC LapVAX", which
represents a quite different fork in the road from where we went; a
world where DEC survived, but France wound up ruling the world.  At
the time the book was written, "All the world's a VAX" was one of the
prevailing opinions amongst Unix folk.

In our world, today, the next computer you get is quite likely to have
a NIC or a video card that Mint 9 won't know about.  So it is really
vitally important to be able to see upgrades of important software, as
you might get stuck with a system that will only work on hardware that
you can't buy anymore.

I get the impression that a lot of the people that want to run
alternative OSes like Plan 9 wind up having to run them in a
virtualization context because they have a preference for hardware
that you can't get anymore.