SSDs

Ted ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 18:22:22 UTC 2012

i have used ssd for last 2 years.
I first used a intel high-end  SLC, no issues.
I then used a MLC (because cheaper). No issues with data loss, but i
sometimes get unexplained pauses that make me think its gone off and
doing bit leveling (algo in device). The SLC i think i rated for 100k w
cycles?, MLC 1000-10,000 IRC?, so i am wondering if going to a MLC was
mistake, having said that, 99% of them now seem to be MLC's. I have been
meaning to find out if there is some way linux can tell me
what the SSD is doing behind the scenes. I see Windows util's and such,
but not heard of stuff for Linux, especially in real time.

For Windows (system i put together recently), since Ram is so cheap now,
i.e. 32 GB for 300$, i installed a Ram disk, and norton to back it up
every hour, as if Windows crashes, you lose all in Ram disk of course.
Of course a Ram disk is a whole step of fast over SSD, so its got me
thinking
for my next Linux box, do i get  64-128gb ram, and have a Ram disk of
say 32-64gb for that as apposed to SSD?

I think a  Ram disk mixed with conventional may be a better solution a
lot of the time, because you tend to want wicked fast for some stuff
(and SSD is slow a hell compared to ram disk), and for other stuff, old
spinning platter if fine.
Other times SSD may be preferable. Unless prices have changed, except of
Mobo capacity issues,  Ram and SSD flash ram seemed about same price(SLC),
again making ram disk a viable alternative for some systems.

My mean time between crashes in Linux is about 1 per year, for Win 7 its
about same, and Win pre-7 well .. it was daily :(
If you don't have a stable system, Ram disk is not a possibility.
The Ram disk on my Win7 system has actually made it usable, making up
for massive short-comings of it being Windows.

-tl