New article in the Economist criticizing Linux usability

Michael Galea michaelgalea-4VtgCsEi+FIybS5Ee8rs3A at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 9 16:40:33 UTC 2012

On 08/04/12 01:51 AM, Matt Seburn wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM, charles chris<cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> They may need Skype to work with an internal webcam:  We need hacks here!
> I use Skype with an internal webcam on linux regularly...
I added a webcam recently.  Unfortunately it was on the system that
provided my
mythtv backend.  I was happy until the next boot when device enumeration
ordered
the webcam first and I lost a tuner.
MythTv wasn't too communicative about the failure, either.  Help offered
by Mythtv
walks  you through configuring udev..

If linux needs hacks, they are usability hacks that would address
problems like this
for less sophisticated users.

--
Michael Galea