Thinkpad Android Tablet blow out

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 5 04:50:10 UTC 2012

Scott Sullivan showed me his Thinkpad Android Tablet after a recent
TLUG meeting.  It is a 10" iPad-like Android tablet.  But there are
some interesting things about it

+ you can get a stylus for it.  This is a much more accurate tool than
  your finger or a capacitive stylus.  With some models it is bundled.
  Otherwise it is $30 or $40.  This is potentionally very very useful.

+ There seems to be a firesale at the moment (starting alst week).
  NCIX is selling the 32G model, with a stylus and case, for $350.
<http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=63641&vpn=183825F&manufacture=Lenovo&promoid=1101>

+ Lenovo promises that this model will be upgraded to Ice Cream
  Sandwich (Android 4.0)

+ solidly built for the business crowd.

- this model is probably about to disappear given the price.  Since I
  don't detect market excitement, I suspect that there may be no
  replacement.  After all, Lenovo has other higher profile tablet
  lines.

- the next generation of tablets ought to have much higher resolution
  if Apple's lead is followed.

- this model is heavier than other 10" tablets

- this model seems to have odd battery management.  There are claims
  that it uses significant power when asleep.

- I don't know what useful software exploits the stylus well.  If you
  want to draw, this is probably wonderful.  If you want to cursively
  enter text (I do), I think that there is no reliable software.  But
  I could be wrong.

- The most sought-after stylus-expoiting software is Microsoft OneNote
  but I think that the non-Window versions are not as useful.
  <http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/Microsoft-Onenote-now-available-on-the-Android-Market/td-p/673459>

Scott: any thoughts?  Can you tell us how you like and use the stylus
(I know you showed me)?