What the heck happend with LibreOffice on Debian Unstable?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 8 00:45:56 UTC 2011

Turns out this is mainly just a problem with Synaptic, which is not
surprising. What a mess. I kept going in circles for awhile, then
uninstalled everything with Synaptic, closed that and did an 'apt-get
install libreoffice', which went fine. I should have tried that right away,
Synaptic is not the most reliable tool.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Terrence Enger <tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> I have been following dev and discuss mail lists for
> LibreOffice, and I have not noticed your problem mentioned.
>
> If Debian support (I am not familiar with it) is not
> helpful, you might ask on the discuss list at The Document
> Foundation, discuss-DL+rna6QvqRRQ0oMI7lyI3G1qET/BF4J at public.gmane.org; IIRC you do not
> have to be subscribed to the the list, but it might be
> easiest: discuss+subscribe-DL+rna6QvqRRQ0oMI7lyIxlBQnHKHwzh at public.gmane.org
>
> This suggestion is a bit remote from your problem, but your
> question has gone unaddressed since yesterday, so I am
> throwing it out.
>
> HTH,
> Terry.
>

> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 12:59 -0400, Thomas Milne wrote, under
> the subject heading "What the heck happend with LibreOffice
> on Debian Unstable?":
> > Update before last one had a bunch of new libreoffice packages, nothing
> came
> > up in apt-listbugs so I let it run. However, when I try to run
> libreoffice I
> > get:
> >
> > /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared
> > libraries: libsofficeapp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or
> > directory
> >
> > I thought there might have been some mess laying around, so I tried
> > uninstalling libreoffice from Synaptic, and reinstalling. However, even
> > trying to remove libreoffice is causing a cascade of changes like
> removing
> > gconf2 and installing packages called libextcat and libgraphite. How does
> it
> > make sense that removing libreoffice would require _installing_ new
> > packages? The whole thing is a complete mess. Anyone else seeing this
> > disaster?

Thomas Milne