OT: Opinion on making recuirters part of your LinkedIn network?

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 6 18:56:48 UTC 2011

On 11-09-06 01:46 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
[ ... ]
> Recruiters seem keen on engaging in a massive degree of
> "promiscuousness", linking to as many people as they possibly can.
>
> Unfortunately, while this may increase the likelihood of them being
> able to be a little closer on the network, the germane linkages aren't
> actually useful references, so it doesn't help the way I think they
> imagine it does.

 From the bit of experience I had with hiring lately, I formulated the
rule-of-one-thousand: there's an order-of-magnitude drop at each stage
from the number of resumes received, to the number of resumes read and
studied, to the number of interviews held, to the number of people
hired.  If I were a recruiter, I'd be thinking that for every 1000
linkages I can maybe get a placement.

	Mel.