OT: Opinion on making recuirters part of your LinkedIn network?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 6 17:46:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently looking for a job, and have been talking to a number of
> recruiters (some of whom may be on this list).
>
> I received a couple of invitations to connect from these recruiters,
> but I haven't added any of them to my LinkedIn network unless I've
> actually worked with them, because I prefer that my network consist of
> people that I know and/or people I've worked with. Thoughts?

My preferences seem conformant with yours; I prefer for my network to
consist of people I actually know.

Recruiters seem keen on engaging in a massive degree of
"promiscuousness", linking to as many people as they possibly can.

Unfortunately, while this may increase the likelihood of them being
able to be a little closer on the network, the germane linkages aren't
actually useful references, so it doesn't help the way I think they
imagine it does.