Harddisk prices... going up?

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 26 18:46:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Ivan Avery Frey
<ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 26/10/11 3:06, Ori Idan wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Slack Rat <slackrat-GANU6spQydw at public.gmane.org
>> <mailto:slackrat-GANU6spQydw at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    William Park a écrit profondement:
>>
>>    | I was looking to buy a 1TB disk, and I noticed that the price of
>>    | harddisks in general went up by 60% or so.  What gives?
>>
>>    Opportunity knocks
>>
>>    Hard drive prices going up - Thailand+++
>>
>>    Memory prices going up - Japan
>>
>>    Time to open a Canadian Factory or two
>>

>> The problem is labour prices in Canada, actually not only Canada, all the
>> western world.
>> But if you do open a factory, I will be happy to help :-)
>>

> Are wages too high in in the Western World or too low in the rest of the
> world?
>
> Would you suggest we settle for third world living and working conditions
> just so that we can compete successfully?

Not at all, I think we can not compete in cheap manufacturing but we can
compete in things that require innovation.
So if someone has an innovative way to manufactures disks or memory that
will have high yields, this is the way to go and I am sure there are ways to
do it.

--
Ori Idan