Which Linux distro do you use at work?

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 24 15:58:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:30:28PM -0400, Howard Gibson wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 07:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
> > William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Just curious... which Linux distro do you use at work?
> > >
> > > I use Slackware at home and Redhat at work.  One disadvantage is that I
> can't easily transfer knowledge between home and work, because it usually
> involves distro specific things.  So, I want to find out Redhat's market
> percentage in GTA.
> >
> >    I use Windows XP Professional at work because that is what they put on
> my desktop.  My primary application is SolidWorks.
>
> Well I suppose by the time SolidWorks 2013 comes out you will get an
> upgrade since XP support is history by then. :)
>
> >    At home, I run Fedora.  On my main desktop, I am in the process of
> replacing FC12 with FC15.  My laptop runs FC14.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

The first Linux distribution I used at work was Caldera which is funny as
this was from SCO who later went against red hat and red hat users, claiming
for patent infringement and in the end it turned out that the IP for Unix
was still at Novell's hands :-)
Before that I had played a little with a distribution I think called
Ygdrasill if I spell it correctly.

Today after trying many distributions including Red Hat and Mandriva (when
they called it Mandrake), I am now using Ubuntu on both my desktop and 2
client servers I manage.

I do work sometimes at client sites on Windows XP or Windows 7 but try to
avoid it as much as possible.

--
Ori Idan