Updates: grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 24 03:16:18 UTC 2011

Sorry for this delay and this off topic followup on this thread.

Some ideas for short circuiting the Windows update process. I suspect that
Windows Update is rather stupid. It appears that updates are downloaded and then
the service pack is downloaded which includes all the updates you've just applied.

So if you know that the Windows you're installing is a service pack or two
behind, I would suggest disabling Windows Update after installing Windows,
download the service packs manually and install them; then turn Windows update
back on.

Ivan.