Resume from Sleep/Hibernation

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 20 18:05:52 UTC 2011

Hey all,

Before I begin, let me say that I've already scoured the Internet for
possible solutions, but nothing appears relevant.

I've noticed an issue with sleep and hibernation in both Kubuntu 11.10
and PCLinuxOS 2011.09.  Initiating sleep and/or hibernation works
correctly, but when I resume from either one, rather than being
prompted for my password [as was the default previously], the KDM
login screen appears.  So, it seems that, somehow, KDE crashed during
the restore.

The behaviour occurs on my Acer Aspire One D250 net book, Compaq
Presario V6000 note book, and my girlfriend's Lenovo note book.  I've
not yet seen it occur on any desktop, but as I haven't had time to
test it, I'm not sure if it's related to KDE or the hardware.

Sleep/Hibernation worked flawlessly in previous versions of both
distributions.  I've tested other distributions with KDE [Fedora,
openSUSE, RHEL], as well as GNOME [Fedora, RHEL, SLES, Ubuntu] and
XFCE [PCLinuxOS], and haven't seen this issue appear for those
environments.

I've tested the behaviour when running no applications whatsoever as
well as running multiple different applications, and it seems to make
no difference.  When I run either distro through a VM at work, sleep,
hibernate, and restore all occur without any issue.  I'm not overly
certain whether this is a valid test, though, given that the distro
doesn't [as far as I am aware] interact directly with the hardware.

I'm not overly familiar with the workings of KDE, so if anyone has any
pointers to information, or ways I can troubleshoot this, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Alex Gabriel
Dimensia Design Studio
alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org