Dennis Ritchie passed away

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 13 17:43:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Also sad to see, while Steve Jobs death got front page treatment, the
>> mainstream press seems to have ignored the death of a man who arguably
>> had a greater impact on the computer industry than Mr. Jobs.
>>

>> Colin.
>
> I second you completely on this. K&R have had a much more profound
> impact in our field than many others who more well known.

Yes, K&R (Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie), co-authors of "The C
Programming Language" and co-creators of Unix have had a greater
impact on the field than just about any other pairing, including Steve
Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Ran across the following quotes from Dennis
Ritchie:

"I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the demigodic party."
"Usenet is a strange place."
"UNIX is very simple, it just needs a genius to understand its simplicity."
"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."

Colin McGregor

P.S.: I gather that Toronto born Brian Kernighan is still very much
alive and working as a computer science professor at Princeton
University...