Dennis Ritchie passed away

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 13 16:00:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Also sad to see, while Steve Jobs death got front page treatment, the
> mainstream press seems to have ignored the death of a man who arguably
> had a greater impact on the computer industry than Mr. Jobs.

dmr won't get nearly the same accolades from the general public, but
within our community, he is surely noticed.  This was a blow, for
sure.

"When I saw the news about Steve Jobs it was a shock. But the news
that Dennis Ritchie has died was much more like a blow. I didn't know
him super well, we attended Usenix together for many years, but he was
mostly a quiet man, not the sort to seek the limelight." -- Brad
Templeton

"It’s probably essentially impossible to explain to civilians how much
dmr’s work mattered and matters."  -- Tim Bray

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/rip-dmr.html

A happier moment...
http://pastebin.com/vBRynAXw

Steve Jobs' passing is marred by distasteful things; I point to the
"iSad" product line
<http://www.dealextreme.com/new-arrivals?date=10-13-2011>.  Since, as
Tim Bray comments, dmr's work doesn't visibly "matter" to people not
involved with Unix, I don't think we'll see nearly so many tasteless
things about him.