Dennis Ritchie passed away

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 13 15:34:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> From: Nevin Liber <nevin-AZU0gJLPn9TR3KL7bYdZCw at public.gmane.org>
>> Date: October 12, 2011 7:50:04 PM PDT
>> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>> Subject: Dennis Ritchie passed away
>>
>> <https://plus.google.com/101960720994009339267/posts/ENuEDDYfvKP>
>>
>> via Rob Pike  -  8:02 PM  -  Public
>> I just heard that, after a long illness, Dennis Ritchie (dmr) died at home this weekend. I have no more information.
>>
>> I trust there are people here who will appreciate the reach of his contributions and mourn his passing appropriately.
>>
>> He was a quiet and mostly private man, but he was also my friend, colleague, and collaborator, and the world has lost a truly great mind.
>> --
>>  Nevin Liber  <mailto:nevin-AZU0gJLPn9TR3KL7bYdZCw at public.gmane.org>  (847) 691-1404

Very sad to hear. I trust everyone here knows who Dennis Ritchie was,
just in case there is someone who doesn't know:

- Creator of the C programming language.
- Co-creator of the Unix operating system
- Co-author of "The C Programming Language" (arguably our field's
greatest textbook)

Also sad to see, while Steve Jobs death got front page treatment, the
mainstream press seems to have ignored the death of a man who arguably
had a greater impact on the computer industry than Mr. Jobs.

Colin.