Kernel version 3 -- did I miss something?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 11 02:36:04 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 06:22 PM, sciguy-Lmt0BfyYGMw at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Hello
>
> Looks like we've been into kernel version 3 since about May of this year.
> And this being the first full version increase in 15 years, I thought I
> would have heard of it. I must have been asleep (or extremely busy with
> work).

Yes it was big news, but then again there are folks out there that
haven't seen Star Wars yet.
You are slightly forgiven. :P

> Any impressions as to how good/bad this kernel is? Will it work with my
> AMD Athlon dual-core 64 (which by now has been around a few years)? I've
> recently been rather unimpressed by my latest Ubuntu and it's wonky
> desktop, and have been considering changing distros (probably back to
> Debian) for some time. Maybe in the meantime, if it's feasible I'll
> compile myself a version 3 kernel. Just like old times. :)

Nothing in the way kernels are vetted or released has changed. It's
still the same incremental updates we've been having for a long while
now. Linus just wanted a change of pace in the numbering.

They use to say Linus would have to be nuts for the to be a 3.x kernel.
This was close enough as it made no sense other then he said it should be.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/29/204

Same new-old kernel, just a flashy new number. Yay!
--
Scott Sullivan