Richard M. Stallman is glad Jobs is gone

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 23:33:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 01:42:41PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
>> Seriously?? Can't he keep his mouth shut for 3 seconds? Guy needs to
>> learn to choose his battles.
>>
>> http://stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)
>
> Stallman is quite the nut job.
>
> Unfortunately I think I actually agree with him for once.  Eek.  Not a
> very nice way to say it though.
>
> I do actually have a vague hope Apple just might become a nicer company
> now, but I am not very optimistic.

Yep, RMS is definitely an ass, but I am afraid I am compelled to
mostly agree with his concerns, if not with how gracefully he put
things.

While, with two options (better|worse), it is NOT the case that there
is an equal chance of either possibility, I rather think there's a
fair bit of risk of Apple getting worse.  With Jobs on the job, there
was a focus on whatever was the new thing, to the point of monomania.

In his absence, it's pretty plausible that the company may fall into
more of a tendency of playing more and more licensing games.  Witness
the jousting with tablet vendors over similarities to iPad.  That's
not a direction towards "nicer" company...